Client: Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council
Start Date: March 2015
Finish Date: December 2017
George Cox & Wilde Consulting Engineers were invited by Stockport Council to provide design and construction capabilities as part of their £80m Town Centre Access Programme bid submitted in March 2015.
The successful bid resulted in an almost immediate start on site; regardless full construction designs were not complete. Close working between the design plus George Cox construction and commercial teams with Stockport Council allowed works to start in May 2015 as a tight deadline called for completion of the first 2 junctions and a 250m section of carriageway widening by October 2015.
- Creation of a new roundabout junction at Port Street / Leyland Street / Great Edgerton Street junction.
- A new traffic signal junction at Great Edgerton Street / Little Edgerton Street junction.
- New car park access from Leyland Street with access from the A6 and Great Edgerton Street but exit only towards Great Edgerton Street.
- The upgrade of existing puffin crossing on Great Edgerton Street to a Toucan (pedestrian and cyclist) crossing.
- Additional pedestrian crossing facilities provided across the A6 at Leyland Street and at the Great Edgerton Street/Little Edgerton Street junction.