Start Date: January 2016
Finish Date: April 2016
We were successful in securing the works to resurface the thoroughfare and bus bays at Queens Square Bus Station, which is located in the Centre of Liverpool.
This location has exceptionally high pedestrian traffic and after consultation with Merseytravel it was decided to change the original plan, which was to close the whole station into 2 separate phases. Phase 1 included the South carriageway and bus bays and Phase 2 was for the works on the North side of the site.
The scope of works included:-
- Planning of carriageway
- Installation of new drainage and ducting
- Removal and replacement of concrete sub base for bus bays
- Re-Surfacing of carriageways
Specialist Traffic Management Consultants were employed to design the detailed plans required for this complex contract, their remit was to ensure the safety of the pedestrians and that disruption to the traffic and pedestrian flow was kept to a minimum.
During the works, pedestrian access needed to be kept open through the centre of the carriageway, this was achieved by installing gates at the pedestrian crossing in the centre of the working area. These were manned by gatekeepers and where only closed when access was required by the site team.
Within the working area there were several areas containing high valued specialist items which required protection from the works:-
- Scaffolding was used to encase the bus stands, columns and pedestrian guard rails.
- A bespoke safety system using plywood was used to encase the central reservation barriers
- Hand digging took place near the areas to reduce any damage that could be caused by using machinery.