Client: Tarmac Contracting
Duration: 12 weeks
As part of Salford City Council Bridgewater Canal improvement plan, investing a minimum of £110 along the canal over 15 years, Duke's Drive Country Park was identified for a number of improvements that would enhance visitor access and their overall experience.
George Cox was successful in securing the works to improve the car park area and entrance. The scope of works included: -
- widening the entrance road
- building the new entrance wall
- re-profiling the pavement
- installation of new drainage channels
- construction of new flood attenuation system
- landscaping and planting of new trees in the vicinity
- resurfacing the car park and marking bays to create 72 spaces
The new entrance feature was designed to draw attention to the park which was previously not obvious to passers-by. The design consisted of a curved stone wall at either side of the entrance that is clad in natural grey Yorkshire sandstone with Welsh slate copings and incorporates steel feature bars which make reference to the former railway tracks of the adjacent linear walkway.